Thursday, February 28, 2013

New Source of Encouragement - (a website about Christian books)

Today I want to write about a Christian website that has become a new source of encouragement for me.  www.bookfun.org  This is a new kind of book club for the digital age, The Book Club Network, Inc.  Fred (Phred) and Nora have become the ultimate book club discussion leaders.  They spend hours researching new books and bringing new authors to the page to interact with the readers.  This website is all about Christian books.  An author friend of mine, Candace Calvert, introduced me to the site.  After enjoying lots of stimulating conversation with Candace regarding her books and characters, I discovered that I could do that with both authors and other readers who enjoy some of the same kinds of books that I enjoy.

With very few other foreigners in our area to connect with regarding books, other reading material, sources of encouragement, etc, I discovered this wonderful place where I can do it online. Naturally, I don't have hours and hours to spend perusing all the wealth of material out there, so I really appreciate that Phred and Nora do so much of the previewing and bring the best of the best to our attention.  When I say bring them to our attention, I mean they are digging and finding publishers that are willing to offer free books to readers.  So when you interact on the site, you are receiving opportunities to win free books!  I've already won three!!  They've just added e-books, too, so that's a huge plus for those of us who live overseas.

Also, they are now publishing a FREE digital magazine featuring many books, interviews with authors and readers, and all sorts of interesting material.  It's published online monthly and you can easily access it through the website. They also have a store where you can purchase books directly.   I know that many of my friends who follow my blog are readers so I hope that you will check out this great new website.

Gotta start 'em young!   This photo is my 2-year-old grandson in his reading chair.  

What are your sources for encouragement?  During my mom's recent visit, she discovered how very very important personal mail (letters or email) is to someone who is living overseas.  So, I do receive lots of encouragement from email and letters.  Is Christian fiction a valid source of encouragement or should I just stick to my Bible and nonfiction?  Feel free to comment below with your views on the subject.  I'll write my views in a later blog as well as share with you some of the other places where I find encouragement.







No comments: